Conversant, too?

The occasional ramblings of a Columbus, Ohio poet.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Columbus, Ohio, United States

Rose M. Smith is a shy, quiet poet who's lived most of her life in Columbus, Ohio--a conversational voice heavily informed by human situations and emotion. Voted "poet most unlike herself at the mic," she has been known to silence an unruly room when her poems begin to speak. Her work has appeared in Chiron Review, The Iconoclast, Good Foot, Pavement Saw, Concrete Wolf, Boston Literary Magazine, The Examined Life, Main Street Rag, and The Pedestal Magazine, and other journals and anthologies. Rose reads throughout the midwest--she'll make a jaunt cross country if she's needed (you pay for it). She has been called "a quiet visionary spanning the worlds of performance poetry and literary print! challenging and enriching the norms of both. She is an associate editor at Pudding House Publications and author of Shooting the Strays (Pavement Saw Press, 2003) and A Woman You Know (Pudding House Publications, 2005) and is featured in the Poets' Greatest Hits collection now managed bt Kattywampus Press. Rose is a Cave Canem Fellow.

Thursday, May 15, 2008

Still Breathing!

Wow! I just realized how long it's been since I blogged about anything. I've been so distracted.

First of all, it's not like me at all to write journal after journal for the whole world to read. But beyond that, I've been swimming upstream for months now, against the current, trying to keep my head above water since I seem to be lacking in the gills department. Life is turning around for the better, but along with that come some giant obligations to keep working toward personal goals.

I'm still working with my workshop group once a month at MCL. Everyone's grown so much in the last year. It's truly amazing, the work that's coming out of Salon members these days. The group is so easy to facilitate. And our last session! Everyone had truly groundbreaking comments regarding each others' work. It was a great session.

Had to pull together a collection rather quickly to meet a deadline. Sent the thing off--electronically, I might add--then almost immediately revised the ending of one of the poems and wished I'd placed them in a different order. It's a competition manuscript, so my confidence is also immediately blown. Little chance I'll place when even I can see the flaws.

Rust Belt Regional this weekend! I can hardly wait. Second year in a row that Columbus is hosting this event. Hope the crowds turn out for it. It's supposed to rain this weekend. Who knows how many people will be afraid of melting. If you're reading this and you're looking for something FUN to do this weekend in Columbus, you've gotta be there. More info here:

http://www.rustbeltpoetryslam.com

Okay. I'm out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home