Conversant, too?

The occasional ramblings of a Columbus, Ohio poet.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Columbus, Ohio, United States

Rose M. Smith is a shy, quiet poet who's lived most of her life in Columbus, Ohio--a conversational voice heavily informed by human situations and emotion. Voted "poet most unlike herself at the mic," she has been known to silence an unruly room when her poems begin to speak. Her work has appeared in Chiron Review, The Iconoclast, Good Foot, Pavement Saw, Concrete Wolf, Boston Literary Magazine, The Examined Life, Main Street Rag, and The Pedestal Magazine, and other journals and anthologies. Rose reads throughout the midwest--she'll make a jaunt cross country if she's needed (you pay for it). She has been called "a quiet visionary spanning the worlds of performance poetry and literary print! challenging and enriching the norms of both. She is an associate editor at Pudding House Publications and author of Shooting the Strays (Pavement Saw Press, 2003) and A Woman You Know (Pudding House Publications, 2005) and is featured in the Poets' Greatest Hits collection now managed bt Kattywampus Press. Rose is a Cave Canem Fellow.

Tuesday, August 02, 2005

looking inward

I discovered today that I'm nervous. So much to do, so little time. So many ways to trip over my own shoelaces. Do you do that? Some days we look at the sky and see sky. Some days we look up and see clouds, not thinking sky at all. Not to fear, though. Today is sunny. We're doing 90+ degree weather in the midwest, and I'm wondering what the heck the temp is in Albuquerque today.

I want to see Taos, and wonder if there's a chance in a haystack of getting that far up the road for a minute on an off day at Nats. But if we do well, there won't be any off days, so I'm not ordering my car rental coupon yet.

I'm thinking how the heck I can get books to the folks that want them and still have books for Nats. I'm thinking about how wonderful it is to have friends who allow me to speak my mind, then still love me when I do.

And I'm thinkin' I owe a hug to any person who touches this page in the middle of cyberspace... some person who cruised around or answered an URL to find out something and found instead an ordinary woman in Columbus, Ohio, who found herself blessed enough one day to whisper her heart's cry and find it came out poetry.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Be sure to come back to OHiofrom NM.

Ordinary -- only an extraordinary person thinks s/he is ordinary.

1:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home