Conversant, too?

The occasional ramblings of a Columbus, Ohio poet.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Columbus, Ohio, United States

Rose M. Smith is a shy, quiet poet who's lived most of her life in Columbus, Ohio--a conversational voice heavily informed by human situations and emotion. Voted "poet most unlike herself at the mic," she has been known to silence an unruly room when her poems begin to speak. Her work has appeared in Chiron Review, The Iconoclast, Good Foot, Pavement Saw, Concrete Wolf, Boston Literary Magazine, The Examined Life, Main Street Rag, and The Pedestal Magazine, and other journals and anthologies. Rose reads throughout the midwest--she'll make a jaunt cross country if she's needed (you pay for it). She has been called "a quiet visionary spanning the worlds of performance poetry and literary print! challenging and enriching the norms of both. She is an associate editor at Pudding House Publications and author of Shooting the Strays (Pavement Saw Press, 2003) and A Woman You Know (Pudding House Publications, 2005) and is featured in the Poets' Greatest Hits collection now managed bt Kattywampus Press. Rose is a Cave Canem Fellow.

Thursday, August 18, 2005

National Poetry Slam--Finals are Finals

I don't think I'm going to say a lot about National Poetry Slam finals. The teams that were there earned their way into that event and they each deserve respect. I was a little disappointed to watch Christa Bell get knocked off the indie championship tier by a time penalty. Would I normally react to that? Not really. Slam is slam. But I watched her go overtime using the same poem she went overtime on in our semi-final bout last year in St. Louis--now that.... that is disappointing. The rules are what the rules are. No one can convince me that every word of a poem is so precious it's worth sacrificing a national championship.

Christa is a massive talent --incredibly unique delivery and style. I would have been happy to celebrate her win. Instead, I celebrate the sense of community and acceptance that led the two current individual champions to share the crown and the prize after a tie breaker proved the equivalence of their offerings. One tenth of a point, Christa. If I remember correctly, without that time penalty you would have won by one tenth of a point. I came away from Wordlympics Canada last year with one poet forever imprinted on my heart because of his fresh delivery, intelligent writing and uniqueness. I'll still keep you in my US freshness bag, Christa. You are all into your poems and that's good. You are the poet I take away with me this year.

As for team finals, I have little to say. I was in the semis bout with Albuquerque. They earned that win. I was in finals night with all these teams. Albuquerque earned that win. ABQ content was fresh to the rest of us, even if not necessarily fresh to their own audience who live it and know it well; and in spite of their youth, this team brought massive talent to the stage. I will respect that. Danny Solis and others--don't take any crap from anybody about this win. There was no home-town advantage, I don't care how many folks rumble about somebody booing.... somebody whispering... some uncanny noise and feedback. There are such things in many bouts, many venues. The question is:

Are you in the zone when you hit the stage or not? Are you in the POEM or just gettin' up in front of folks to sound smart and look cute? Are you and your message one yet? Or are you just talking to be heard? Believe me, if being there in the big lights is all about YOU, that's the only reason such things will matter.

Minor things blown out of proportion pretty nearly ruined finals night for me. We will go away from the best National Poetry Slam event in the five years I've been going thinking of pettiness and protest. What a shame. Let's get out the Clearasil and get rid of those zits. Please. This is about poetry--if your poem is all that, who CARES what anyone else thinks!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home