Conversant, too?

The occasional ramblings of a Columbus, Ohio poet.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Columbus, Ohio, United States

Rose M. Smith is a shy, quiet poet who's lived most of her life in Columbus, Ohio--a conversational voice heavily informed by human situations and emotion. Voted "poet most unlike herself at the mic," she has been known to silence an unruly room when her poems begin to speak. Her work has appeared in Chiron Review, The Iconoclast, Good Foot, Pavement Saw, Concrete Wolf, Boston Literary Magazine, The Examined Life, Main Street Rag, and The Pedestal Magazine, and other journals and anthologies. Rose reads throughout the midwest--she'll make a jaunt cross country if she's needed (you pay for it). She has been called "a quiet visionary spanning the worlds of performance poetry and literary print! challenging and enriching the norms of both. She is an associate editor at Pudding House Publications and author of Shooting the Strays (Pavement Saw Press, 2003) and A Woman You Know (Pudding House Publications, 2005) and is featured in the Poets' Greatest Hits collection now managed bt Kattywampus Press. Rose is a Cave Canem Fellow.

Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Good morning to morning

I am saying good morning to morning today, appreciating all of its light, birdsong and newness. There are times when it becomes as necessary as breath to appreciate the smallest things while we await some life dream or push across a milestone.

Milestones... the new chap, getting into The Pedestal Magazine, getting off my duff on a grant application, getting through the birthing.

Today I am, again, just breathing and it feels so, so good.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations on making it into Pedestal; I read your work there, stunning!

Also, I suspect Liberal Arts is full on poets already, with someone slotted for this fall and all the other disciplines under that department. If I teach poetry this spring, I'd like to bring you down to feature at Sentient Bean via Kodac's venue, and make it a mandatory field trip for my students. That way you'd only have to perform once. That's my plan. I'll keep in touch once we get closer to spring.
Mary Chi-

8:48 AM  
Blogger Rose said...

Thanks, Mary. I managed to apply for the OAC grant in time. Not crossing my fingers or anything, but at least I got an application in this year. First time.

I am preparing a resume revision to mail to Ohio colleges. Maybe someone will be interested in a poet who straddles fences.

4:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

MAGNIFICO,ROSE!IAMSOHAPPYTHATYOUDID! Fence straddling should be come more and more in favor--it's harder to build bridges than observe or burn them--as slam begins even more to "infiltrate" the academy, though practical-minded teachers who have any concern about the literacy learning of the students dozing off in classes should wake up themselves.

9:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You did apply! Great. I have been meaning to ask you about it.

Good luck.

5:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home