Conversant, too?

The occasional ramblings of a Columbus, Ohio poet.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Columbus, Ohio, United States

Rose M. Smith is a shy, quiet poet who's lived most of her life in Columbus, Ohio--a conversational voice heavily informed by human situations and emotion. Voted "poet most unlike herself at the mic," she has been known to silence an unruly room when her poems begin to speak. Her work has appeared in Chiron Review, The Iconoclast, Good Foot, Pavement Saw, Concrete Wolf, Boston Literary Magazine, The Examined Life, Main Street Rag, and The Pedestal Magazine, and other journals and anthologies. Rose reads throughout the midwest--she'll make a jaunt cross country if she's needed (you pay for it). She has been called "a quiet visionary spanning the worlds of performance poetry and literary print! challenging and enriching the norms of both. She is an associate editor at Pudding House Publications and author of Shooting the Strays (Pavement Saw Press, 2003) and A Woman You Know (Pudding House Publications, 2005) and is featured in the Poets' Greatest Hits collection now managed bt Kattywampus Press. Rose is a Cave Canem Fellow.

Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Still here... still writing

I think I'd better post something before people think I died or something. Rumor has it that a few very close friends have been very concerned about me lately. We are, however, human--me far no less than others. I live in a flesh house, and every now and then that house tries to shut down on me. I'll be okay, though.

Days like these make one appreciate healthy, high energy days.

Great time at dinner this weekend with friends Steve, Vijay and Abi. Was a great time of sharing and learning. Wonderful conversation. Wonderful meal. Terrific company. I can hardly wait to do that again.

I have to start getting ready for Grand Slam at Black Pearl December 20, even though I may be unable to participate. We'll see whether my flesh house permits me to push through to it. May take a miracle. I've had the great experience of participating in three Nationals, so I'll live if I don't make it to iWPS in February.

Great feedback on an off-the-cuff poem I wrote at Larry's a week or so ago. Good fuel for the "gotta write" fire. Here's hoping the Christmas season break will give me at least one night a week to spend with that inner voice.

1 Comments:

Blogger Rose said...

I made a first cut of a CD over a month ago, but it was time-distorted and you could hear my stuffy sinus infection in the voice. This infection is finally beginning to clear up. I'm hoping to get back together with Mike (sound engineer) after the holidays.

Incidentally, there is a teeny, tiny chance I may not be in the Grand Slam. I'm having some minor outpatient surgery that morning. If I can walk and talk, I'll be there--probably zoned out on pain meds. Bad timing, but it has to be done.

6:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home