Conversant, too?

The occasional ramblings of a Columbus, Ohio poet.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Columbus, Ohio, United States

Rose M. Smith is a shy, quiet poet who's lived most of her life in Columbus, Ohio--a conversational voice heavily informed by human situations and emotion. Voted "poet most unlike herself at the mic," she has been known to silence an unruly room when her poems begin to speak. Her work has appeared in Chiron Review, The Iconoclast, Good Foot, Pavement Saw, Concrete Wolf, Boston Literary Magazine, The Examined Life, Main Street Rag, and The Pedestal Magazine, and other journals and anthologies. Rose reads throughout the midwest--she'll make a jaunt cross country if she's needed (you pay for it). She has been called "a quiet visionary spanning the worlds of performance poetry and literary print! challenging and enriching the norms of both. She is an associate editor at Pudding House Publications and author of Shooting the Strays (Pavement Saw Press, 2003) and A Woman You Know (Pudding House Publications, 2005) and is featured in the Poets' Greatest Hits collection now managed bt Kattywampus Press. Rose is a Cave Canem Fellow.

Friday, September 30, 2005

September Regrets

September whooshed by like a buzzsaw through balsa wood, blowing me down and chipping away pieces of self I thought were necessary, creating a new surface, weather worn, badly in need of sanding, and dented from the impact of what seemed then such gentle encounters.

I pick at the sawdust remnants of what once were visions. They are jagged and small. They lie in tiny mounds like anthills raised from the soft-packed depths into daylight.

September regrets: Missed the Thurber House Evening with Authors. Got stuck at work and would have missed the majority of that event.

September regrets: Missed the Jazz Slam. I don't think I've ever had a beat inside me. Maybe I should have shown up to be inspired, but I was so tired at the time. I gave in to soft spot and a pillow on the sofa, tried my best to watch a movie. Woke up when Mya licked my face to wake me. She wanted to go outside but I don't know why--she'd already made her puddle.

September regrets: I haven't mailed nearly enough submittals to journals this month.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home